Regularly vegetable patties like these are made with a little flour or bread crumbs which will allow the batter to stick together, together with the eggs. These patties are made with cooked lentils and sticky rice, which is gluten-free and also provides a little more protein.
- 2 1/2 C coarsely grated zucchini (from one large or 2- 3 medium zucchini)
- 1 tsp or less salt or low salt tamari
- 2 egg, large, somewhat beaten
- 1/2 C finely chopped sweet onions
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- 1/2 C crumbled feta cheese – optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs – mix of basil, marjoram and a little thyme or dill or parsley or cilantro or other mix of herbs or spices. If you use spices, start with 1 Tbsp, so it doesn’t get too strong
1/2 cup (about) coconut oil. Coconut oil is a heat-stable and shelf stable oil which does not have any strong flavor. Olive oil is not really for higher heat frying.
Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!
Cook a mix of lentils and sticky Sushi) rice , well, about 30 -40 min. Cool and mash together. Set aside. Wash and trim one large zucchini. Shred it coarsely using a cheese grater. Squeeze the shredded zucchini inside of a clean towel until you’ve removed as much liquid as possible.
Place shredded zucchini into a medium-sized bowl. Add minced onion, garlic, lentils/sticky rice, mix cheese Optional (shredded), eggs, herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
Heat coconut oil (about ¼ inch deep in bottom of skillet) to a medium heat. When the oil is hot enough drop a smallish glob of zucchini batter into the skillet and flatten it a bit. Cook for about two – three minutes with a lid on (you should see little bubbles appear the same way you cook pancakes, turn the cakes carefully over ( they should be nice golden-brown) and cook on the other side until done (about 2-3 minutes). These patties do not hang together as well as patties with flour.